To Holy Wine!
The Official Latroun Monastry Wine Website
Latroun Monastery, also known as the monastery of the silent monks, is
located on the highway that leads to Jerusalem, in the foothills
adjacent to the Latroun Junction.
monks are Trappists, part of
the catholic Church's Benedictine order which was established in
Italy in the 6th century. The Trappist charter promotes earning a
livelihood by using one's skills, thereby being economically independent
and not relying on external sources of support
(according to Psalm 128:2 - "When thou eatest the labour of thy
lands, happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee").
There are around
170 Trappist monasteries worldwide and each monastery supports itself in
a certain field of production, usually in the realm of agriculture, in
1890 a group of monks arrived in Israel from France, founded the
monastery in Latroun and started producing wine as a source of income.
There are numerous vineyards in the monastery grounds, and the winery,
carved in the rock face, produces wine in the French tradition.
The monks also
produce olive oil from their olive orchards and the monastery's
vegetable garden and citrus groves provide the minks with all their
vegetable and citrus requirements. The minks hail mainly from France,
Belgium and Lebanon, but also include several from Jordan and even from
Japan and Peru. The winery is located on the eastern side of the
monastery, concealed from travelers along the main highway.
Prior to the Six
Day War, Latroun was the only winery in the Jordanian kingdom. The wine
was sold in local markets and exported to other Middle Eastern
Countries. Today the winery produces around 300,000 bottles annually